Friday, 9 December 2011

YA Christmas Reads

Ever since I finished my last class of the semester (which was technically last night...) I've been craving to read something with some kind of wintery focus. After all, what better way to get into the Christmas spirit then by curling up with a book set during the holiday season! As a result, I did some searching online to come up with a list of potential reads for myself over Christmas break, and thought that I would share my findings with you! Take these recommendations with a grain of salt, because since I haven't read them myself I have no idea if they will actually be any good! All I did was read the synopsis and a couple of quick reviews in order to decide that each book had the potential to be a fun holiday read! Without further ado, here are the YA Christmas/winter books that I came up with! 

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
“I’ve left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”
Lily leaves a notebook full of challenges on the shelf of her favourite bookstore waiting for the perfect guy to come along and accept its dares. Set during the holiday season, this is definitely the first book I plan on reading this Christmas!


Let it Snow By John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
 This is a fantastic collection of short stories by some of YA's most beloved authors. Each story is set in a small town where a snowstorm on Christmas Eve causes some interesting romance to blossom. Romance? Christmas Eve? Sounds like the perfect book to curl up with by a warm fire!

The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Catherine Hapka
While the plot of this book didn't initially grab me, I've read some of the books from this series before back in high school and remember really enjoying them. After breaking up with her boyfriend, Lexi suddenly realizes the mistake that she's made when he starts dating someone else. Can she find a way to steal him back before Christmas? (Yah...like I said plot seems annoying but I might give it a chance)

The Best Girl by Emma Harrison
This one caught my eye because the main character is in college rather than high school (a rare occurrence for YA novels!). Farrah is supposed to be her brother's best man for his wedding during Christmas break at a ski resort in Colorado. Family drama ensues resulting in a variety of mishaps along the way!

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I just had to throw this one in here! I've actually read Little Women and loved it! While this book doesn't exclusively focus on the holiday season, the Christmas and winter scenes are some of my favourites! A real classic that everyone should read at least once!

Winter's Kiss by Jennifer Echols
I'm not entirely sure what this book is about due to the fact that I couldn't find a synopsis on Goodreads, but I love Jennifer Echols and her writing so I'm sure this book will make for an enjoyable read!

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Now this is a Christmas classic! I read it years ago and remember it being the kind of book that really pulls at your heartstrings. It's a super short and easy read, and will definitely remind you of the importance of love during the holiday season!





Do you have any recommendations for books that will get me into the Christmas spirit? Have you read any of these books before? If yes, did you enjoy them? I apologize for those who celebrate holidays other than Christmas during this time of the year like Hanukkah. I tried to find a couple of wintry books that weren't specifically Christmas related, but it was more difficult than I thought!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I have Dash and Lily's Book of Dares on my TBR shelf. Maybe I'll have to get to it for Christmas. The Best Girl looks good too.

TG said...

I just bought Let it Snow to have ready to read the next time I get snowed in. That usually happens around January/February over here; I thought it was a general winter book, rather than a Christmas one. I think I'll have to bump in up the reading list and read it sometime during the Christmas season.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

Dash & Lily is such a perfect Christmastime read! I'm planning on re-reading it this year. Love your list!

Post a Comment