Tuesday, 27 December 2011

The Year In Books


Well in a couple of days 2011 will officially be over! Sitting at home reflecting on all of the reading I have done over the past 12 months, I would have to say this was a pretty amazing year for books! To help wrap up 2011 I decided to participate in Inkcrush's Faves of TwentyEleven Book Awards! As a result, here are some of my favourite books that I have read over the past year...

Favourite Book Read in 2011: 
An extremely tough decision!! I think I'm going to go with The Hunger Games though (despite what an obvious choice it is). The Hunger Games caught me completely off guard and I loved every second of it! I can't believe I initially turned my nose up at it because I thought the cover looked weird. I definitely learned my lesson that being a cover snob can really prevent you from reading great books!

Delicious Rainy Day Comfort Read: Vampire Academy
I actually did curl up in my bed with Vampire Academy on a rainy day while away at school! It definitely helped me forget about the fact that I was trapped at home instead of out having fun with my friends! It's such an amazing book it would make a good read on any day whether it's raining or not!

Adrenaline-Fueled, Unputdownable Book: Divergent
Reading Divergent was like being on a sugar high... I could not but it down!! As soon as I finished it I was already pacing the floors waiting for the sequel to come out! Plus, all of the action involved with belonging to Dauntless really pumps up your adrenaline!



I So Want To Go There Award:
Austenland
Ever since I read Pride and Prejudice I have dreamed of visiting the world of Jane Austen. Shannon Hale's book Austenland made that dream seem like it was actually within my grasp! Who wouldn't want to spend a week at an Austen inspired vacation resort where you can be swept off your feet by a Mr. Darcy-esque gentleman?!

Most Beautiful Prose Award: The Dovekeepers
Alice Hoffman's writing in The Dovekeepers was absolutely beautiful! The imagery and style simply took my breath away! I can't help feel a strong fondness for this book because of the magic that I felt while reading it! Definitely one of the best written books of 2011!

I Had No Idea I Would Love This Award: Anna and the French Kiss
When I read all of the 5 star reviews of this book I couldn't help but be skeptical. Based on the summary I had read, Anna and the French Kiss didn't sound like anything special. Boy was I wrong! I absolutely devoured this book! It was amazing from page one until the very end! Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favourite authors of all time!

Best Series: The Summer I Turned Pretty
If there was a best beach read award this book would get it! Instead, I'm awarding it with the best series award for 2011! Reading about Belly, Conrad, and Jeremy was one of my book highlights of the summer! I could not get enough of this series! It was cute, funny, and emotional rolled up all into one!

Would Make A Great Movie: White Cat
With all of the recent announcements about various books becoming movies, I'm shocked that the rights to White Cat haven't been snatched up yet! The story of Cassel and his shady family of curse workers would make an amazing movie! Plus, I really just want to see Cassel himself on the big screen....

Best Love Triangle: Clockwork Prince
The intricate relationship between Will, Jem, and Tessa becomes all the more complicated in the second book of the Infernal Devices series! I don't want to spoil the book for those who haven't read it yet, but let's just say the recent development in the love plot caused me some emotional turmoil! As a side note...Will Herondale also wins the best literary crush of 2011 in my opinion!

Best Plot Twist: Across the Universe
While I was able to figure out some of the main things that would happen in this book, I definitely did not see the plot twist at the end coming! It was so well executed that I think I actually gasped out loud!

Most Hilarious Scene: Clockwork Angel
Clockwork Angel wins not so much most hilarious scene as funniest quote: "You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends Will." "There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't." 

Favourite Cover: Wither
Out of all of the covers that I fell in love with over 2011 (and trust me... that as a lot!), my all time favourite has to be Wither! The colours and imagery just work so perfectly together!


So what were some of your favourite books from 2011? Do you agree/disagree with any of my choices?

5 comments:

Rubab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

I would freaking LOVE White Cat to be made into a movie! Hopefully they wouldn't get some stupid guy to play Cassel, though. I need to read the rest of the Summer series and get started on the VA books. Maybe next year.

Lan said...

I'm so glad you chose The Hunger Games. That's exactly what I would have done :) White Cat would make an awesome movie but I think Jenny is right, they'd just end up casting someone not right :(

Chelsey said...

I love this list! There are only 2 on this list that I don't either have or have read lol. I love reading your personal thoughts on everything! I also can't wait to dive into them!

Ikhlas said...

Hahahha don't worry about being a cover snob, I think we all judge covers (and people too) without even knowing it. I used to think the covers of Harry Potter were weird 11 years ago, but it soon became my favourite book!

Post a Comment