Sunday, 8 January 2012

Book Review: Frostbite


Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose…
It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians—including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks… This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…

Rose Hathaway is back and ready to kick some serious ass! Frostbite, the second book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, completely swept me off my feet and captured my attention from page one! With the number of Strigoi attacks increasing, the students of St. Vlads are sent to a luxurious ski resort to spend the Christmas break with their families. While one would think that such a remote location would keep Rose and her friends out of trouble, the danger and drama only increases! Without giving any spoilers away I can honestly say that the last few chapters will definitely have readers on the edge of their seats and scrambling to get their hands on the next book!

Besides an amazing plot, one of the reasons I loved Frostbite was the fact that it allowed readers to see Rose grow and mature some more. It seems that with each book she leaves a bit of her impulsive attitude behind and becomes more reflective and wise. For example, while her interactions with her mother have never been good, by the end of the novel Rose seems to come to terms with their relationship and better understand the struggles that her mother has had to go through herself.  I can't wait to see what Rose's character has become by the end of the series!

Another aspect I loved about Frostbite was that it introduced some intriguing new characters! Tasha, Christian's aunt, is especially badass, although she creates some interesting conflict between Rose and Dimitri. I really hope we'll get to see her some more though throughout the rest of the series! And then there is Adrian, one of the Moroi royalty who just happens to start a flirtation with Rose. I absolutely LOVED his character and all of sarcasm that he brings. I can definitely see a potential love triangle occurring at some point because of him, although I think it's obvious to everyone that Rose and Dimitri belong together.

The only criticism I have about Frostbite was the fact that the first few chapters focused a lot on explaining the events that had occurred in the previous book. Although I can understand its importance for someone who might need reminding, for someone like myself who is reading the books in close succession to one another I found the repetition somewhat boring. Luckily this passed quickly and I was soon launched into the excitement and new surprises of the second book.

Overall, Frostbite was a thrilling and gripping read that kept me on the edge of my seat! It was the perfect follow up book to Vampire Academy, and I'm already dying to start reading the next instalment! If you haven't already read the first book in this series you need to get started on it now! It's simply amazing (and that means a lot coming from someone who usually hates books about vampires)!

Rating: 4 Stars

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm going to start these soon. I promise.

Lan said...

Mead tends to do the recap thing a lot. It happens in every single one of the VA books :( Frostbite is my favourite in this series. It's got a sense of urgency but things haven't gotten super intense yet and I enjoyed the whole Dimitri/Tasha thing. Glad you liked it!

Chelsey said...

I loved this book! Agreed with both you and Lan though, she does do that recap thing in all of them. It sucks for us reading them all at once, but I can see the benefit of reminding you what happened if its been a year or so. Still, it gets to be a bit daunting.

I think I'll pick up the next one -- I'm on Blood Promise now -- soon! Then when we are around the same place, we can discuss!! Great review as per usual =).

TG said...

I always thought this was the book where the VA series really took off and became unmissable. Glad you liked it just as much! I'm very much an Adrian girl, too.

I have to admit, though, I'm one of those people who always forget what happened in the previous books, so I appreciate the recapping reminder that Richelle Mead does. I suppose it's a tough choice for an author - risk annoying the readers with good memories or risk confusing the readers with bad ones!

Katie said...

I have the whole series so don't buy them I can loan them to you. And I have Bloodlines but its not as good. I will probably read the next book in the Bloodline series just to see what happens with Adrian.

Post a Comment