Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Book Review: Wishful Drinking



Intimate, hilarious, and sobering, Wishful Drinking is Fisher, looking at her life as she best remembers it (what do you expect after electroshock therapy?). It's an incredible tale: the child of Hollywood royalty -- Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher -- homewrecked by Elizabeth Taylor, marrying (then divorcing, then dating) Paul Simon, having her likeness merchandized on everything from Princess Leia shampoo to PEZ dispensers, learning the father of her daughter forgot to tell her he was gay, and ultimately waking up one morning and finding a friend dead beside her in bed.

Here is a random fact about myself: I am a nerd. Not only am I a nerd, I am a Star Wars obsessed, fan expo attending super nerd, who let's out a squeal of excitement every time she comes across any kind of jedi or wookie related merchandise. I even have a statue of C3P0 in my bedroom and a collectible Admiral Ackbar mighty mug sitting on my shelf. With that confession out of the way, I'm sure you can see how it was only natural for me to feel the need to pick up Carrie Fisher's memoir Wishful Drinking and give it a read! 


 Now, you would probably think that reading about Carrie Fisher's struggle with alcoholism and depression would make for a rather bleak and cheerless book, but it was quite the opposite! Wishful Drinking was both fascinating and laugh out loud funny! Between the tale of her parents' divorce to her thoughts on what it was like to be a sex symbol for nerds everywhere, I found it difficult to put this book down! The outrageous stories that she shares with her readers will only have them begging for more! 

In fact, my only complaint about this memoir is probably that it was far too short! At only 176 pages Wishful Drinking can easily be consumed by even the slowest of readers in about a night! I'm sure Carrie has more stories that she could have shared in her memoir, but for some reason chose not to. I was especially disappointed that only a couple of pages were actually dedicated to the filming of Star Wars. Although she references Princess Leia throughout her writing, I would have enjoyed hearing more about what it was like working with the other actors and being on set. 

Putting my disappointment aside, Wishful Drinking is a captivating read that will especially interest anyone with a love of Star Wars. I think those who have no idea of Carrie Fisher's background or life growing up will particularly  be surprised and amazed! As I already knew about the details behind her parents and their divorce I wasn't as shocked as I think other readers might be for that particular chapter. Nevertheless, I'm definitely looking forward to any other writing that Carrie Fisher might produce in the future to come!

Rating: 3 Stars



2 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds like a fun book and I love the cover!

Jenny said...

I was wondering about this one. I'm a bit of a nerd but more closet nerd so no expos for me. ;)

Post a Comment