Monday, 27 February 2012

Book Review: Touch of Power




Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
As a teen, fantasy was by far my favourite genre of choice. Once I started university, however, the amount of fantasy I consumed was significantly diminished in order to make way for authors like Austen and Tennyson. My love of fantasy was re-sparked this past week though when I decided to indulge myself with Maria V. Snyder's latest YA novel Touch of Power. I LOVED it! Within two days I had read Touch of Power from front to back and was hitting up Goodreads in order to find out what other books Snyder has written. Here is what I loved so much about this novel:
The Setting Was Magical:
I instantly fell in love with the Fifteen Realms where the story takes place. Although the idea of a world where some citizens are blessed with magical gifts isn't a new concept, it still felt imaginative and entertaining. After finishing the book I wanted to visit the world of Avery and Kerrick so that I could be a wind, death, or forest mage too! 
The Plot Was Fast-Paced:
This is definitely a plot driven novel, and while I typically enjoy stories that focus more on the characters, the action and adventure was so gripping it was impossible not to love! There were so many skirmishes, kidnappings, and escape attempts that I was dying to find out what would happen to Avery and her companions next!

The Characters Were Lovable:

Although the characters in
Touch of Power weren't overly developed, you couldn't help but like them. Kerrick's crew consisting of Flea, Belen, Quain, and Vinn were entertaining and loveable. Belen's eventual role as a big brother type figure was especially endearing! The only real complaint I have about the characters was the fact that the focus on the plot of the story kind of caused the romance in the novel to fall to the wayside. The romance between Avery and Kerrick could have been fantastic if their characters had been a little more developed.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book to fans of Tamora Pierce, or readers who are simply looking for an enjoyable fantasy novel to devour. I'm already looking forward to the sequel to
Touch of Power, although I'll have to wait until 2013 to get my hands on a copy! Until then I'll definitely be checking out Maria V. Snyder's other series, including Poison Study and Storm Glass! 

Rating: 4 Stars

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Sounds like a good read! I haven't heard of this book or author before but I'm going to check it out. Great review.

Katie said...

Interesting. So is Kerrick part of Avry's gang or is he part of the gang that kidnapped Avry? Or just a random Robinhood like gang?

Can I just note I'm so glad she didn't fall in love with the prince who had her kidnapped?

Natalie I need you to read ‘Fever’ so I can talk about it with you. AND “We Need to Talk About Kevin” . I haven’t read characters that well developed in a long time. I didn’t realize how much I missed complex characters.

Jenny said...

I still haven't read any of her books yet. I really want to because I've heard great things but I'm so overwhelmed by all the books I WANT to read!

Chelsey said...

Natalie! Why do you do this to me?! I had no interest in this and now, after reading this, I want to go buy it right away.

Fantasy isn't normally my thing but now you have me wondering about it lol. Also, gotta love me some fast-paced magical reads! Wonderful review =).

Ikhlas said...

Oh wow, this sounds great! I love fantasy too...great review, Natalie :)

Post a Comment