Thursday, 2 February 2012

Book Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.



Before I started reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, a couple of my blogging friends (Chels and a Book and Ikhlas) warned me that it was weird...but in a good way! I think those words are the perfect way to describe my reaction to this book. Between Mara's hallucinations and her struggle to maintain sanity, I sometimes felt like I myself was going a bit crazy at points, but the story was so gripping that I just couldn't put it down! I loved the fact that as the reader even I wasn't sure whether or not Mara was actually mentally unstable, or if her hallucinations were real. Although the final explanation of what was happening to Mara at the end of the novel wasn't what I was expecting, it certainly put me on the edge of my seat to find out what will happen next in the series. Unfortunately that's about all that I can say about the weirdness of the story without giving any spoilers away!

While I loved Michelle Hodkin's writing style, which was full of suspense, the one thing about this novel that I found difficult to fully accept was Noah's character. Sure he has the whole bad boy hotness going for him, but his whole tough reputation thing was a bit overplayed. There was also the fact that he was randomly British, which just seemed to push his character over the edge even more. While in most novels I generally like British accents or the bad boy who turns good, this combination just seemed like too much British bad boy oozing too much goodness for one story.

Despite my unresolved conflict with Noah, I still LOVED this book. It was both thrilling and suspenseful! The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer literally had me reading all day! During those rare occasions where I wasn't reading Mara Dyer, my hands were itching to pick it back up and start reading again! I'm really looking forward to the sequel, although I have no idea what direction Michelle Hodkin could possibly be thinking of taking this story next. Whatever happens though, if it's anything as good as The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I'm sure that I'll love it!

Rating: A- (4 stars)
Recommended to
Fans of Suspense (or those who like reading about British bad boys!)

7 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

Wow this is SUCH an awesome book! I feel like you really enjoyed it and I am glad :) - OH! and I am such a sucker for a British bad boy, so I guess I'll have to pick up a copy at some point :) Fantastic review as usual Natalie! I absolutely loved it!

Chey said...

I'm glad you liked it! I can't wait for the second one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. ^_^

Kate said...

100% agree! True, I'm kind of in love with Noah, but could you have a more stereotypically perfect boyfriend? But anyway, I'm dying for book 2 :)

Anonymous said...

going on my reading list now... sounds fantastic!
Mlee

Chelsey said...

We had the exact same reaction to this book! Noah was an odd part for me too.. for a few different reasons. I, too, could not put it down! Great review, as per usual =).

Ikhlas said...

Great review, Natalie! I also couldn't put it down, but I felt Noah was overplayed in his hotness factor. I mean super rich and British and hot and bad boy? It could have been toned down a bit.

But after reading the last page, I couldn't wait for the sequel. Hope it comes out soon!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Jenny said...

I keep hearing good things about this one and I need to get to it but I also keep hearing bad things about Noah. Sigh!

Post a Comment