Saturday, 11 February 2012

Movie Review: The Vow...Definitely not the next Notebook

When my roommate and I decided to go to the theatre last night to watch The Vow, we had no idea what  a journey of epic proportions it would become! After going to two different movie theatres where it was completely sold out, we ended up buying tickets for the late show and killing a couple of hours eating appetizers at Milestones. In order to try and beat the rush, we then went back to the theatre an hour early, only to be left with seats in the front row. An hour early! We couldn't believe how crazy the theatre was! So before I begin my actual review of The Vow, here is a word of warning if you plan on going this weekend...buy your tickets ahead of time and get there ASAP if you want good seats! Moving on...

For those of you hoping that The Vow would be the next Notebook, you are bound to be severely disappointed. While the film was cute and enjoyable, the love story wasn't all that exceptional, and the ending left viewers longing for more. Sure there were tons of moments where Channing Tatum's character did something cute and romantic that left all the girls in the audience sighing and turning to their boyfriends to say "why don't you do something like that!" but overall the movie was missing some of the magic that ultimately made The Notebook so special to female audiences across the world.


Most of the time throughout the movie I found myself feeling sorry for Channing's character and wanting to hit Rachel McAdams across the head! While I can't even begin to understand how confusing it must be for someone to have lost their memories, her frustration and unwillingness to open up to her (hot) husband baffled me. As The Vow progressed though I had my fingers crossed that something exciting and epic would happen to bring them back together...but I was wrong. The ending was cute, and probably the most realistic, but as a romance movie I was hoping for something a little more dramatic that would have made me leave the theatre crying my eyes out.


While my review may seem entirely negative, that isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the movie! It was cute, romantic, and left me smiling, but I think I went in with expectations that were much too high. I wasn't the only one apparently, as I heard countless girls repeating the same thing as we walked out of the theatre, "It was good but not as good as I had wanted it to be." Overall my favourite part of the entire movie? Seeing a preview for Zac Efron's new movie The Lucky Ones. I was drooling after that trailer!


Rating: 4/5
(bet you weren't expecting that after I tore the poor movie apart)

Ps. A word to the wise... Don't sit in the front row when you go to see The Vow! It really made my ro0mmate and I notice all the little imperfections in poor Channing Tatum. From now on I can't think of him without picturing how horrible his teeth look up close! 

7 comments:

Dan O. said...

The film may be entirely unafraid of predictability, but it's sweet, shiny and well acted; essentially it delivers exactly what it says on the box. It also helps that Tatum and McAdams are good here as well, but nothing that they haven't already done before. Good review. Give mine a look when you get the chance.

Ikhlas said...

LOL about the front seats! That must've sucked! I actually haven't seen the Notebook (I know, shame on me!) but read the book, so maybe I might get a different experience?

Great review though, Natalie!
:)

Shoshanah said...

I had such high hopes for this movie, as I think did a lot of people, and it's a little disappointing to hear it doesn't live up. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm still hoping to and hopefully I have a better experience with it.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

I really want to see this movie--I'm basically totally in lust with Channing Tatum. I'm so glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I was also shocked at his teeth. So shocked that I was Googling images of his teeth just now after watching the movie on dvd. I kept asking myself are those real?! Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that.

Jimmy Jarred said...

I love this movie. The title of this movie is so appealing that I saw it multiple times. I just love romantic movies and this is one of my favorite.
The Vow Online

sanam arzoo said...

This post was very nicely written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. Thanks for sharing wonderful information. No doubt it is good information but research understood that people want to take useful information.Channing Tatum

Post a Comment