Monday, 6 February 2012

My New Obsession With Downton Abbey


As much as I love books, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a TV junkie. I love the anticipation that builds up each week as you wait for the next episode of your favourite show! It's almost like TV episodes are individual chapters of a book that keep you hanging on. Unlike a book, which I will tear through in a day if I'm given the chance, TV forces me to pace myself and enjoy the drama a bit longer. While I'll shamefully admit that I'm currently addicted to such shows as The Bachelor, Vampire Diaries, and New Girl...a new series snuck up on me a couple of weeks ago and has since taken over my daily hour of TV time that I set aside for myself. That's right folks...I started watching Downton Abbey!


For those of you still blissfully unaware of Downton Abbey and its pure awesomeness, here is a brief rundown of what it is about... The series focuses on the Earl and Countess of Grantham, their three daughters, and the numerous servants who keep their home running (aka Downton Abbey). The first season centers on the family's struggle to find an heir for Downton Abbey, as none of their daughters are able to inherit their wealth or money. When the heir is finally located, a distant cousin named Matthew who practices law, the family has high hopes that he will marry their eldest daughter Mary. Mary, however, is a bit of a free spirit, and does everything she can to resist the match hoped for by her parents.  Throughout the show, the threat of World War 1 looms in the background, affecting both the family and their servants alike. It's almost like the show is a soap opera set in the late Victorian Era!

So what is it about Downton Abbey that has me so obsessed? For one thing, it is a brilliant piece of storytelling! Every episode has its own source of excitement, and the lives of the various characters and the trouble they get up to will keep viewers hanging on at the end of each show! Whenever I turn on an episode of Downton Abbey before I go to bed I have to force myself not to finish the entire series in one night! It is just that addicting! One girl in my class actually watched the first two seasons over the course of a weekend because of all the cliffhangers!


Another thing that makes Downton Abbey so fabulous is the actors themselves. Although I've never heard of half of the people in the show, their acting is so amazing that they really do make the characters come to life! Between the villainous footman Will and the loyal butler Mr. Carson, I really feel like they are actual people whose lives we just happen to be catching a glimpse of. And of course, there is also the fact that Maggie Smith (Prof. Mcgonagall from Harry Potter) plays the role of the Dowager Countess of Downton Abbey. She completely embraces the stuffy and stuck up nature of her character, a role which earned her an Emmy last year for best supporting Actress!

So would I suggest watching Downton Abbey? YES! If you are a fan of BBC, Austen, soap operas, or any other kind of romantic drama, you will soon become a Downton Abbey addict like myself. While I haven't finished Season 2 yet (halfway there but trying to make the anticipation last as long as possible), I'm already dreading the time that I'll have to wait until Season 3 starts in September. How will I get by without my daily dose of Downton? Think Downton Abbey sounds like something you might like to give a try? Check out the Season 1 preview commercial below!

7 comments:

Ikhlas said...

So glad you're a fellow addict :D :D Hehehe. I too watched the whole series (so far, that is) on one weekend, because every episode left with such dramatic cliffhangers!

I don't know how you're pacing yourself, but all the power to you!
I'm just eagerly counting down the days till September...might have to rewatch it to help me wait. ^_^

Uomo di Speranza said...

I really have to get the first two seasons...ASAP. I'm just ignorantly watching the newish episodes right now, and the whole feel of the show is serving as enough for me. And thanks for the fyi about September!

Jenny said...

Everyone is talking about this one. It's only a matter of time before I'll give in and watch it too.

Karen @ Book Light Graveyard said...

Oh my gosh! Downton Abbey is the best! I was so obsessed with that show during season 1. I haven't started season 2 because I know I won't be able to tear myself away and get more productive things done. I love Maggie Smith and the clothes are so great!

My anxious life said...

I love love love this show! I am watching it at the same time that I am hooked on Justified. Two totally different shows but both great!

Angie

Books Ahoy said...

Looks cool! New follower :)

Books Ahoy
www.books-ahoy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thomas is the villainous footman, not Will.

Post a Comment