Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Illuminate



Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.

As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?

Illuminate is an exciting saga of a teen’s first taste of independence, her experience in the lap of luxury, and her discovery she may possess strength greater than she ever knew.

I'm not going to lie...The first thing that drew me to this book was its gorgeous cover. I love the lettering and the fact that it looks like it's actually illuminated. The shadow of wings against the wall is also a bit of a hint at what I think we can perhaps expect from the rest of this series (some kind of angel plot worked in!). While the synopsis of the story has me curious about where exactly this story will go, I think it could be one of those books where it is either really good or just average. Some of the plot seems pretty obvious to me right now...I mean her love interest's name is Lucian! Maybe it's just me but the name Lucian reminds me a lot of Lucifer! And the fact that her friend's name is Dante? As in Dante's Inferno? But then again the author could throw me through a complete loop and I could be totally wrong (which makes me even more curious to read the actual book). What do you guys think? Does Illuminate sound good to you? Guess we'll have to wait and find out what happens when it hits store shelves March 6th!

11 comments:

Hollie said...

I was the same as you, the first thing I noticed about this book was the pretty cover! I think the plot sounds quite interesting, and I think you could be onto something with the whole Lucian/Lucifer thing. I'm still excited to read this, so I'm hoping it doesn't let me down!

Hollie :)

My WoW

Tess said...

Oh my Gosh I totally didn't notice the wings until you pointed them out!!! that cover just got even more awesome for me! New Follower! thanks for sharing!

Here is my WoW post this week with a GIVEAWAY!!!

Britt said...

This one sounds so interesting. I don't love the names, but I will definitely overlook them for the jazz age hotel with secret passages. Great choice!

Karis Jacobstein said...

I'm a cover whore too! If the cover is good enough, I'll give anything a chance! All kidding aside, I am really excited for this one too! Great pick!

My WWW/WoW

Meghan @ Books and a Cup of Tea said...

The cover is definitely very pretty! I'm a sucker for a good cover! It sounds awesome, though, so I hope it lives up to expectations!!

Great pick, I'm a new follower :)

Meghan at Books and a Cup of Tea

Lizzie said...

I love this cover too! Definitely eye catching :-) It does sound a bit predictable but I think it'll be worth a read, by the sounds of the rest of the plot! Great pick! And thanks for stopping by my blog. =)

Jenny said...

Hmmm, sounds interesting and, you're right, the cover is awesome!

BTW, One of those lovely little tag things is going around again so I tagged you. Sorry. I did try to come up with some fun questions for you. Check out my blog.

Katie said...

Really? This cover screams bad book to me? But my book sense is not finely tuned. Probably cause I rely on your reviews to do my choosing for me.

Tribute Books said...

I always love a tale of the outcast making a splash. You're right the cover looks gorgeous, and I'm curious to find out who's really running that hotel.

Thanks for stopping by my WOW :)

Ikhlas said...

It does sound a bit predictable, but I'll still probably pick it up.

Gorgeous cover though!

V. K. Sinha said...

delhi search
Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post.

Post a Comment