Monday, 5 March 2012

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs: The Popularity of Fairy Tales

I love my fairy tales. What I love even more, however, is when my favourite fairy tales are re-imagined with a new twist that makes me think differently about them. You can imagine my delight then when my brother shared this recent ad created by The Guardian which features the Three Little Pigs. I've always loved The Guardian (they're one of my favourite news sources)....but I love them even more now for this clever creation! Check out the video below!


Pretty creative right? While I was watching it I was reminded of one of my favourite picture books from when I was a child, Jon Scieszka's The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. When Scieszka's story first came out it was praised for its originality in telling this classic fairy tale from the point of view of the wolf. Whether or not you decide to believe the wolf's story is entirely up to the reader, but it certainly is an amusing version of the Three Little Pigs. Ironically enough, we studied this book in my Children's Materials class this past week! Talk about perfect timing! 


Anyways... I really loved this video and thought it was definitely a great piece of advertising on the part of The Guardian. Although I doubt it will ever happen, I'd love to see more videos showing the points of views of other famous fairy tale villains, like the ugly stepsisters, or the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk! They definitely released the ad at the right time considering the recent popularity of fairy tale shows like Grimm and Once Upon A Time, not to mention the two Snow White movies coming out this year! What is it with all of these fairy tale themed shows and movies lately?!? 

Although fairy tales have always been a part of popular culture, they seem to really be moving to the forefront over the past year. Is there something about our current society that is causing us to consume more fairy tale stories than usual? Is it because many of our current economic situations seem so bleak that we can't help but dream of being swept away by a prince charming type figure in a far away land unlike our own? Or do we perhaps find something comforting about the familiarity of these fairy tales that many of us have grown up listening to over and over again? I'd love to hear a psychologists viewpoint on this topic!

Since we are on the topic of fairy tales and everything... I was also recently introduced to a graphic novel series called Fables, which depicts fairy tale characters struggling to survive in the human world. The twists in Fables are surprising yet interesting, as the big bad wolf has reformed and is now a sheriff, while Prince Charming has become a free loading womanizer. I inhaled the first volume in about a day and already have the second one on hold at the library. It's definitely a series to check out if you are as much of a fairy tale lover as I am! 

Jack and Bibgy (Big Bad Wolf) from the graphic novel Fables
So did you guys enjoy The Guardian ad as much as I did? What do you think about this recent resurgence of fairy tales in film, tv shows, and books? Do you have any particular favourite fairy tales or fairy tale retellings? 

4 comments:

Ikhlas said...

Wow what a great ad! I've definitely seen a resurgence in fairy tales in the past few years, and am loving it!

Not sure why its so popular right now, but it seems to be popular in movies and TV as well. I think everyone wants to return to the happy days of their childhood...

Jenny said...

It's definitely becoming more popular lately. I'm not sure why, though. I love the stories told from the "villains" point of few and getting a different perspective.

Katie said...

You def. need to watch the Real Housewives of Disney. The way they depict Prince Charming is hilarious!

I love the ad. I also remember loving the book you mentioned as a kid. I`m pretty sure my mom still teaches it to her grade threes.

As for ads. I don`t know if that will happen. It might be nice if the Guardian created a whole campaign around misunderstood fairy tales. Kinda of like Gregory Maguire books but set in current time.

Sidenote: Although Wicked is okay, I don`t recommend his Son of a Witch. It is not worth the paper it’s printed on.

Rachelia (Bookish Comforts) said...

I loved that Guardian ad! So creative and so well done! It looked like a movie - one that I would watch :)

I think part of it does have to do with going through hard times in the past few years - we want to return to the innocence and simplicity of our childhood, back to a magical world but we can also recognize that these fairytales can offer insight into our current situations.

I think once school is over I will check out Once Upon a Time. Every time it is on my Twitter feed blows up with people raving about it! I'm also going to check out Fables - it sounds like a very fun concept too.

Thanks for the great post!

Post a Comment