Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Peculiars


On her 18th birthday, Lena Mattacascar decides to search for her father, who disappeared into the northern wilderness of Scree when Lena was young. Scree is inhabited by Peculiars, people whose unusual characteristics make them unacceptable to modern society. Lena wonders if her father is the source of her own extraordinary characteristics and if she, too, is Peculiar. On the train she meets a young librarian, Jimson Quiggley, who is traveling to a town on the edge of Scree to work in the home and library of the inventor Mr. Beasley. The train is stopped by men being chased by the handsome young marshal Thomas Saltre. When Saltre learns who Lena's father is, he convinces her to spy on Mr. Beasley and the strange folk who disappear into his home, Zephyr House. A daring escape in an aerocopter leads Lena into the wilds of Scree to confront her deepest fears.


My Thoughts:
If you follow my blog regularly then you should be able to guess one of the main reasons I'm excited about this book...its Steampunk! I'm so happy that more and more YA authors seem to be adopting aspects of Steampunk into their novels! I also love the fact that one of the characters in the book is a librarian (considering I'm currently in library school and everything). Despite the fact that it seems like this Saltre character will be Lena's main love interest, I can't help but hope she'll fall in love with the librarian! The Peculiars hits store shelves May 1st, so just a month and a half left to wait! 

3 comments:

Tribute Books Mama said...

An interesting cover, a great choice.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Ikhlas said...

I'm not the biggest fan of steampunk, but this does sound really interesting!

Chelsey said...

Gah! What a gorgeous cover! Reading my very first steampunk novel right now, I can confirm that I am on your bandwagon for this one! This is definitely going on my tbr list too =).

Post a Comment