Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Book Review: Black Heart

How does she do it? How does Holly Black keep coming up with these amazing stories? Black Heart, the third book in the Curse Workers series, once again captured my heart. I literally read the entire book in once night just so I could find out what would happen to my beloved Cassel next. Just as I expected, Black Heart was full of the mystery, adventure, and cons that I first fell in love with in White Cat and Red Glove. Based on how well she is able to lay out Cassel's cons, I'm starting to wonder if Holly Black doesn't have a future career as a con-artist herself!

So how does Black Heart measure up to the first two books in the series? While the adventure and romance is as good as ever, I found the end a little more predictable then the other novels. With that being said, there was still a lot of things that happened that I did not see coming at all (which I won't go into specifics about in order to avoid spoilers)! 

One of the things that I LOVED about Black Heart, however, was the way that it continued to develop the character of Barron. While I've been on the fence about Barron's intentions since he first appeared in White Cat, some interesting things happen in Black Heart that help to shed light on his softer side. There were definitely a couple of moments that made me sigh and sympathize with his character. At one point, I even wanted to give Cassel a big kick to the head because of something he does to Barron, and that is coming from someone who is Cassel's #1 fan! (For those of you who have read the book, I'm talking about the part where Cassel finds something in Barron's wallet)

Now, I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere online I saw something that said Black Heart was going to be the last book in the curse workers series. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, because I really, really do not want this to be the last book! The way Holly Black ended things left a huge hole where another book could easily be written, and I'm hoping she plans to do just that. I mean, there is no resolution whatsoever regarding Cassel's future. Are readers just supposed to accept that Cassel is going to spend a lifetime of being hunted by both the FBI and the mob to do their dirty work for them? I, for one, cannot accept that! So if you are reading this Holly Black, PLEASE write a fourth book... my sanity depends on it! 

Rating: 4.5 Stars 

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Argh! I know! She can't end it like that! I want more, there should BE more! Maybe we could get a petition going. ;)

As for the thing Cassel did. I cried about the thing in the wallet and I was so mad at Cassel for doing what he did and yet loved him for being human.

I just don't want this to be the end.

Post a Comment