Friday, 11 May 2012

My Favourite Fictional Moms!

Since Mother's Day is coming up this Sunday, I decided to compile a list of some of my all time favourite fictional moms. Strangely enough, this task was a lot more difficult then I first anticipated! All of the examples that kept popping up in my head were either of absent or terrifying mothers! I wonder why it is that most novels tend to depict mother's in this way? I mean, just take a look at Disney! The amount of absent mother's in those films is staggering! Anyways, here is the list that I managed to scrounge up after some serious brainstorming sessions. Let me know if there is any amazing mother's that you think I missed!

1. Marilla Cuthbert (Anne of Green Gables)
"Oh, Anne, I know I’ve been kind of strict and harsh with you maybe—but you musn’t think I didn’t love you as well as Matthew did, for all that.  I want to tell you now when I can.  It’s never been easy for me to say things out of my heart, but at times like this it’s easier.  I love you as dear as if you were my own flesh and blood and you’ve been my joy and comfort ever since you came to Green Gables."


Even though Marilla wasn't really Anne's birth mother, she certainly did one hell of a job raising this spirited and imaginative young girl! Sure she may have been a bit hard on Anne at first, but beneath that tough exterior is the biggest heart I've ever seen in any mother!

2. Mrs. Weasley (Harry Potter)
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"


I think everyone will agree with me when I say that Mrs. Weasley is pretty kickass! Not only does she have seven kids to raise and a house to look after, but she fights in the Battle of Hogwarts and kills Bellatrix Lestrange! Mrs. Weasley is definitely a mother I would want to have at my side during times of trouble!

3. Mrs. March (Little Women)
"Money is a needful and precious thing,--and, when well used, a noble thing,--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."


Mrs. March, or Marmee as her daughter's call her, is probably one of literature's most shining examples of the perfect mother. She is a beacon of emotional strength for her family during times of trouble, and encourages her daughters to marry for love rather than money (something that would have been considered progressive thinking during the Victorian era!). The love and dedication that the March sisters have for their mother only goes to show how truly wonderful Marmee is!

4. Mrs. Bennett (Pride and Prejudice)
"But I can assure you," she added, "that Lizzy does not lose much by not suiting his fancy; for he is a most disagreeable, horrid man, not at all worth pleasing. So high and so conceited that there was no enduring him! He walked here, and he walked there, fancying himself so very great! Not handsome enough to dance with! I wish you had been there, my dear, to have given him one of your set-downs. I quite detest the man."


I know. Many of you are probably wondering what the heck Mrs. Bennett is doing on this list! Despite her meddling and high social aspirations, I think that she really does care about her daughters. After all, her desire to get her daughters married is her way of seeing that they are well provided for in the future. Plus, I really do love how she supports Elizabeth in the quote I included above after Darcy snubs his nose up at her!

6. Natalie Prior (Divergent)
"I love you. No matter what." 


Throughout Divergent my respect and admiration of Tris's mother grew by leaps and bounds. Although she may have seem formal and off-putting at first, Tris soon learns that there is more to her mother then meets the eye. Mrs. Prior's love for Tris transcends the faction system put in place, and she even goes so far as to sacrifice her own life for her daughter!


6 comments:

Ninja Girl said...

Oh, I love all these moms! Mrs. Bennett is such a trip lol. So overdramatic :) And I love Marilla and Anne.
Great picks,
Ninja Girl

Ikhlas said...

Great idea for a post, Natalie! Gotta love Mrs. Weasley, my all-time favourite. :D

Jenny said...

Fun list! I love Marilla best "not" mother ever!

Hannah said...

Great list - 'Marmee' is probably my favourite on there, but who can argue with the kickass Molly Weasley? Plus you get a handmade jumper every Christmas!

Just a Lil Lost said...

Fantastic post!!! You've totally inspired me to think of my own list.. Definitely will be linking this post and crediting you for the idea :)

Natalie said...

Glad you guys like my choices :)
And sure Michele! I would be honoured for you to do your own version!

Post a Comment