Friday, 29 June 2012

Book Review: Cold Fury


Jason Bourne meets The Sopranos in this breathtaking adventure

Sara Jane Rispoli is a normal sixteen-year-old coping with school and a budding romance--until her parents and brother are kidnapped and she discovers her family is deeply embedded in the Chicago Outfit (aka the mob).

Now on the run from a masked assassin, rogue cops and her turncoat uncle, Sara Jane is chased and attacked at every turn, fighting back with cold fury as she searches for her family. It's a quest that takes her through concealed doors and forgotten speakeasies--a city hiding in plain sight. Though armed with a .45 and 96K in cash, an old tattered notebook might be her best defense--hidden in its pages the secret to "ultimate power." It's why she's being pursued, why her family was taken, and could be the key to saving all of their lives.

I was super pumped when I received a copy of Cold Fury in the mail from Razorbill for review! The comparison to Jason Bourne and The Sopranos had me all geared up for some serious action and adventure! While I wasn't disappointed when it came to the adventure, the ending of the book wasn't nearly as climatic or exciting as I had been hoping....


What I Liked About Cold Fury:

The Writing Style: When I found out that T.M. Goeglein was a male author I was a little worried about how he would pull off writing from a female perspective, but he did a fabulous job! If I didn't know any better I would have thought that a woman had written the book! The way Goeglein pieced the story together was also really good as he doesn't reveal everything about the narrator at once. Instead, readers get snippets of information one tidbit at a time making the story a little more mysterious. 

The Characters: There were some pretty unique characters in this story that I found both entertaining and intriguing. Even though they were the semi bad guys of the story (or good guys if you are on the side of the mob) Uncle Buddy, Knuckles, and Enzo the Baker quickly became the characters that I was interested in the most. 

What I Disliked About Cold Fury:

The Love Plot: I typically enjoy a good love plot in my books, but this one really failed to deliver. The relationship between Sarah Jane and Max got so little attention that I didn't really feel it was even necessary to the story. 

The Guard Rats: Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I found the idea of rats who are trained to act as guards and protectors of Sarah Jane's family a little too ridiculous for this story. That's right. There are rats all throughout the city who can sense if you belong to the Rispoli family and will savagely protect you if you are in trouble. Perhaps if this story were a fantasy it might make more sense, but it definitely felt out of place in a mob story.

The Ending: I was kind of hoping that this would be a standalone book and was really disappointed to find out at the end that it is going to be part of a series. Don't get me wrong, I typically love series because then I get to spend more time with my favourite characters! Unfortunately, Cold Fury didn't charm me quite enough to make me want to find out what happens next. While there was a bit of a cliffhanger, for the most part the ending was pretty anti-climatic. I definitely think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if it had been wrapped up at the end. 

Final Thoughts:
Cold Fury was okay but not nearly as exciting as I had hoped that it would be. Sure it is packed with adventure, but it lost some of its steam along the way. If this is something that you are thinking about reading I would recommend picking up a copy from the library rather than spending your hard earned cash. 

Rating: 3 Stars

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, despite everything I was intrigued until you mentioned those rats. What the heck?! If, like you said, it was a fantasy fine, but that just seemed to come out of nowhere! And romances that are thrown in but really have no point just irk me!

Camille Picott said...

I found the link to your blog over at Lan's Write Obsession. :) When you claim to follow in the shoes of the Borne Identity and the Sopranos, you better be able to deliver! Too bad this one wasn't better, otherwise it definitely would have made it onto my TBR list based on the synopsis. I actually laughed outloud when I read the part about the rats. Nice review!

Lan said...

Err I'm with Jenny. rats are just gross. I wonder why rats were chosen as opposed to say a cat or dog. Not that the theory would make much sense regardless. I like the concept of this one. I have an unhealthy obsession with the speakeasy era and little romance is okay with me.

Evie said...

I'm sorry that it didn't live up to your expectations, glad you somewhat enjoyed it, though! I don't like when books are being compared to other titles that are HUGE, these kind of comparisons are not exactly helping the book.. Jason Bourne? Um, sure!

Thanks for an honest review!

Natalie said...

Jenny: I know! The rats threw me off big time!!! So bizarre!

Camille: Thanks for stopping by :D So true about having to fill pretty big shoes when you compare something to Bourne or the Sopranos!

Lan:I love the speakeasy era too! Unfortunately its not really incorporated into this book very much...

Evie: I agree! Books should not be compared to other huge titles! More then likely readers are going to be left disappointed when their expectations aren't met.

Post a Comment