Monday, 25 June 2012

Book Review: The False Prince


In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

I have seen A LOT of raving reviews for The False Prince pop up on many of the book blogs that I follow over the past few months, so I decided that it was finally time for me to give it a try! I picked up a copy from my local library two weeks ago and finally found the time to dive into it this weekend. Due to my high expectations for this one I was slightly disappointed at first, but overall it was really good! 

What I Loved About The False Prince:

A Sarcastic Hero: Oh how I love a character full of wit and sarcasm! Sage's personality was right up my alley! Quick thinking and gutless, Sage definitely wasn't afraid to tell the other characters what he thought of them right to their faces! It was also really refreshing to have a story told from a male perspective for once. Most YA novels tend to be focused on female heroines, which tends to get a bit stale after a while.

An Unreliable Narrator: That's right...an unreliable narrator can be a good thing! As The False Prince progresses readers will begin to realize that not everything that they are being told is exactly the truth, which leads to some pretty spectacular revelations as the story develops! 

The Ending: I still can't get over how fabulous the ending of this book was! I'm usually someone who can see a twist in a plot coming a mile away, but The False Prince caught me completely off guard! Hats off to you Jennifer Neilsen! I wish I could say more about just how amazing this ending is but I don't want to spoil anything for those who might want to read it! 

What I Disliked About The False Prince:

Slow Start: I know a lot of the hard core fans of this book out there will probably say that I'm crazy, but I personally thought that The False Prince got off to a bit of a slow start. This was largely because I found the little details about Sage's life kind of tedious and boring....at least until they all started to come together at the end. About halfway through the book when I started to realize that not everything was how it seemed I really got hooked! 

Final Thoughts:
The False Prince was definitely a breathe of fresh air for me! Putting aside the slow start, I ultimately found the story both thrilling and gripping! When I got to the last page I wanted to start reading the sequel immediately! I would definitely recommend this book to fans of YA fiction, especially boys! 

Rating: 5 Stars

4 comments:

kaye (paper reader) said...

I've been seeing a lot about this one, and there's little better I like than a good fantasy. Last year I read a book called The False Princess (which I also loved), so it'll be interesting to see how the 'male version' goes. ANd it's good to know that the pace catches up to the plot; sometimes I love a slow start because once the pieces come together it's fabulous. Once I catch up with my review pile I think I'm going to pick it up.

Lan said...

It's weird because sometimes I like the slow starts and other times it drives me crazy. I'm usually really dense when it comes to figuring things out in books so I think the ending will really catch me by surprise. I'll def put this on my tbr.

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I did not know that the narrator of the book was unreliable, that definitely makes for an interesting read! I've been seeing a lot of rave reviews for this one as well, which to be honest scares me now that you say your expectations were high going in. I really want to read this one but I think I'm going to wait till the hype has died down a bit.

Jenny said...

Oh dear. I'm just being a negative Nancy today. I don't like the sound of this unreliable narrator. I read a book that had one as the MC before and it pissed me off! I also have the sneaking suspicion that Sage really is the prince. I'm hoping not because that's just plain boring and been done to death. See? I warned you I was being negative. Sigh! I guess I'll have to read it if I want to know if I'm right.

Post a Comment