Thursday, 16 August 2012

Stratford's Pirates of Penzance!

I am a HUGE theatre junkie. Whether its attending my local community theatre or making the trek out to Toronto, I will do anything it takes to catch the latest play or musical to hit the stage. During my time spent going to school in London, therefore,  the one thing at the top of my to-do list was to go and visit the neighbouring Stratford Festival Theatre! After drooling over their production schedules for about a month, I finally made the decision to go and see a performance of The Pirates of Penzance. Now, I don't typically review theatrical productions, but due to the fact that The Pirates of Penzance was beaten to a pulp by theatre critics from the Toronto Star and The London Free Press, I felt like I should come to its defence! Despite what these critics may have argued, I found Stratford's production to be entertaining, comical, and absolutely enjoyable!

  

The Pirates of Penzance is a comic opera by Gilbert and Sullivan about a young man named Frederic who is an apprentice to a soft-hearted crew of pirates. Upon being released from his service to the pirates upon turning 21 years old, Frederic goes ashore and falls in love with Mabel, the daughter of a Major General. To his dismay, however, Frederic soon discovers that he still owes 63 years of service to the pirate crew, and is left to choose between his sense of duty to the pirates and his love of Mabel. Despite the fact that the comic opera was first preformed in 1880, the humour and jokes are easily transferable to this century, and I found myself laughing out loud throughout the entire production!


 When it came to the actors, The Pirates of Penzance was brimming with stars. Both Sean Arbuckle as the Pirate King and KyleBlair as Frederic did stupendous jobs at bringing their quirky and slightly naive characters to life, well deserving the standing ovation that they received from the audience at the end of the show. It was Amy Wallis as Mabel, however, that blew me away during her performance of "Poor Wandering One!" I think my mouth literally dropped open at one point when I realized how many high notes she was able to hit during that one song alone!

The set and costumes of The Pirates of Penzance also didn't go unnoticed. I absolutely adored designer Paul Tazewell's use of the Steampunk aesthetic in his creation of the pirate's costumes, which helped to give them a bit more character. My only wish is that the steampunk elements had been carried more consistently throughout the rest of the production, such as the set. While somewhat sparse, the set did its job of bringing the pirate's ship and ruined chapel to life, but lacked any originality.

My only disappoint with this production was the second act, which didn't seem to have as much energy and magic as act one. Having never seen The Pirates of Penzance before, I was also slightly confused about the sudden appearance of Queen Victoria at the end. Nevertheless, I personally enjoyed my time spent watching The Pirates of Penzance, and would definitely recommend it to theatre lovers looking for an entertaining musical. If you are unsure about whether or not the operatic style of  The Pirates of Penzance would be for you, then check out a couple of my favourite songs from the production below. The first video is a brief snippet of Stratford's Amy Wallis singing "Poor Wandering One" (mentioned previously), while the second is my favourite song from the comic opera called "I Am The Very Model of A Modern Major General." 

Rating: 4/5 Stars 




4 comments:

Cory Fuller said...

Really amazing blog, I’d love to discover some extra information.
anonymous browsing

Dr Unity said...

Getting ex back after a breakup. Am Maria 21 from England,my boyfriend of a year just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you.This is his E-mail: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or Add him up on Whats-app: +2348071622464,you can also visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

Dr Trust said...

EXPERT SPELL CASTER TO BRING/RETURN EX LOVER 48 HOURS IN USA UK MALAYSIA AUSTRALIA SOUTH AFRICA INDIA AND ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE CONTACT US NOW ON OUR WEB SITE: https://ultimatespellcast9.wixsite.com/dr-trust

Bring back Lost lovers,Infertility Spell Break up Spells, Marriage spells, Divorce Spells Lottery Spell,Penis Enlargement Creams,Cure Spell, Come to the best Lost Love Spells caster,Gay Love Spells Native healing, Spiritual healer, Magic love spells, lost Love Spells, Relationship healer, Money spells,Traditional healer, Astrology, Spell caster, Magic Healing, Marriage spells, Johannesburg spells,protection spell, Romantic spells, Beauty spells, Ancestral healing, Break Up Spells, magic ring, golden love spells, Bring Back Lost Love, Bring Back Lost Lovers Spell, Candle Love Spell, Curses And Spells, Dark Magic Spells, Divine Love Spells, Do It Yourself Love Spells, Do Love Spells Work, Do Spells Really Work, protection spell, A Spell For Love, Dream Spells, Easy Free Love Spells, Fast Love Spells, Free Online Love Spells, Free Powerful Love Spells, Witchcraft Love Spells, Friendship Spells, Full Moon Love Spells, Gay Love Spells, Good Luck Spells, Guaranteed Love Spell, Healing Spells, Hoodoo Spells, How To Break Up A Couple, How To Bring Back Lost Love, How To Cast A Love Spell,Illuminati Spells, Instant Love Spells, Iove, Job Spells, Kissing Spells, Lost Love Spells, Love And Money Spells, Love Binding Spell,Love Potions, Love Potions Recipes, Infertility, Love Psychic, Love Spells And Rituals, Voodoo Dolls, Lucky Spells, Magic And Spells, Magic For Love,Make Him Love You, Marriage Spell, Mermaid Spells, Money Magic Spells, Money Spell, Return Love Spells, Revenge Spells, Simple Love Spell, White Witch Spells, Wiccan Love Spells, Wiccan Spells, Win Back A Lost Love, Wish Spells, Witch Craft, Witch Craft Love Spells, Witch Spells, Witchcraft protection spell, Witchcraft And Spells, Witchcraft Love Spell, Witchcraft Love Spells, Witchcraft Money Spells, Witchcraft Spells, Witches Spells, Wizard Spells, pregnancy Spells, Fertility Spells,penis enlargement Creams, Manhood Creams, bedroom solutions Love psychic; lost love spell caster; black magic; lost love spell; love spells; lost love spells; witchcraft spells; love spell; black magic spells white magic spells; banishing spells; wish spells; love magic;charmed book of shadows spells; truth spells; love spells using hair; witchcraft money spells; real witchcraft spells; black magic spell; free spells that work; attraction spells; friendship spells; love psychic; real spells that work; voodoo doll spells; ancient magic spells; easy love spells; money spells rituals; casting a spell; voodoo money spells; mermaid spells; money spells that work; psychic spells; powerful magic spells;black magic voodoo spells; magic spells and potions; revenge spells; black magic love spells; spells and witchcraft; cast spells; do spells really work; spells and rituals; dream spells; spell for love; voodoo spells that work; casting spell; spells magic; casting spells that work; love spells that work; spells 4 free; loves spells; real black magic spell,curses and spells; love potions that really work; easy free love spells; binding spell; marriage spells; magic spells that really work; love me spell; dark magic spells; money spells that really work. I am Dr Trust, Am a strong powerful SPELL CASTER who helps people,We are very serious to help those that has been scam and those that seek help in this wonderful world. So today Have you ever think of bringing back your ex husband back,winning lottery. Have it ever occur to you that Dr. Trust Spell TEMPLE is the best and powerful spiritualist who can help you bring your relationship back to a standard view, if actually you so much believe on bringing back your husband or lover or others spell you may need,please you are advice to get back to the only helper and solution to your needs at my temple mail now with your problem at: Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com or Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com

Hyford Tricey said...



Dr.Ikhine instant love spell brought my ex husband back after having marriage issues for the past 6months and im so excited my whole problem was solve today, Thank God for using Dr. Ikhine instant love spell to bring my happiness back few minutes ago also reach through email: agbadado@gmail.com or call +2348074089085

Post a Comment